Monday, July 31, 2017

2017.07.31 Week 60 - Water your own grass

This week I got pretty worried about the world. It's a pretty crazy place to live and its just getting worse. I started the Book of Mormon again and was reading a verse that just kills me every time. Laman and Lemuel are talking and they say "We could have been happy." WE COULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY. Horrible. I think there are a lot of the people in the world who are living the same way. They are too busy searching for happy to be happy. As a society, we get stuck in the trap of basing our happiness on things. Especially when it comes to social media. We see other people that seem to be really happy from their photos and start to think, "Huh, I'm not sure if I am as happy as they seem to be...but I bet I would be if I was them, and had all the things that they have." This grass is greener on the other side attitude is just really a party killer. 

I can only think of two solutions to greener grass on the other side. One, stop looking at everyone else's grass. Maybe spend a little less time on social media, and a little less time checking out everybody else´s stuff. Actually, it's even a commandment, "Thou shalt not covet." Imagine that, God really knows stuff. The other solution, WATER YOUR OWN GRASS. Kids are really good at this, it's probably why Christ invited us to be more like them when he was here. Kids don't base their opinions and their happiness on other people. They like things because they like them, no mas (nothing else). It's not until we get older that we let everyone else get to us. So, in reality, all we need to do to "Find Happiness" is to keep the commandments, base our opinions, likes, and dislikes on God and ourselves, that is the only way we are going to be happy.

WANT TO BE HAPPY, JUST DO IT.

I found all that stuff in the scriptures in case you are wondering:
1 Nephi 17:21 Mosiah 13:24 Isaiah 56:11 Mosiah 3:19
Mosiah 2:41 Alma 41:10 Luke 8:14 John 12:43
1 John 3:13, 4:4-6 1 Nephi 11:22-23

In other news...

It was a good week, especially when we tried to visit a woman named Aurelia. She is an OLD lady. We could see her in her house so we clapped. Her nieto (grandchild) left to talk to us and told us that she wasn't home. My companion then watched her CRAWL UNDER HER TABLE. Literally. Give me a break. Apparently, she doesn´t want to learn the restored gospel.

Also really awesome when we were in lunch and for postre (dessert) we had apples. In a really ninja maneuver where I was breathing, eating, talking, and laughing at the same time, I snorted a chunk of apple into my nose. Nobody noticed, but it made it a little complicated for me to try and pick it out without anyone noticing. But, still a ninja, I casually picked a large chunk of apple out of my nose without anyone noticing. No need to applaud.

Another great thing that happened. Here in Senillosa, I always play the piano in sacrament meeting. I was playing the last hymn, "God Be With You Till´ We Meet Again." And then after three verses I just stopped. I thought there were only three. The whole congregation just kept singing and I looked up and just burst out laughing. I then started playing again and finished strong. In case you are wondering, there are four verses in that hymn.

No comments:

Post a Comment